Looking for collaborators and great cameraphone visualization ideas!
Are you a data visualization person? An artist with cool images? Cool Video? Got some crazy ideas about Vancouver visualizations and mashups involving geotagged cameraphone photos and videos? Then email me or twitter me or text me (bonus if you are in Vancouver, I'll buy you a coffee at JJ Bean W2 and we can discuss this in person!):
- roland AT rolandtanglao.com
- +1 604 729 7924 (text me first, I don't usually answer phone calls from folks I don't know who haven't texted me first or emailed me first or twittered me first)
Interesting Vancouver 2010 Presentation
Public Domain Datasets
For the larger data sets, if you are in Vancouver, I can meet you at JJ Bean Woodwards and we can quickly copy it to your hard drive, USB Key or SD card.
(unfortunately the upload is taking far longer than I thought it would so not all of the datasets have been uploaded yet, will post an update when all the data has been uploaded)
- 3700 Original Size Geotagged Gastown Photos with corresponding Flickr Meta data (2.6GB)
- 3700 640x480 Geotagged Gastown Photos (526 MB)
- Roland's 21000 Geotagged Cameraphones Meta Data Only i.e the pictures are not in this file! Includes Average colour (meta data includes: lat, lon, date take, urls of square, 640x480, original size, tags, views, etc)
- 21000 Vancouver Geotagged Photos (coming soon!)
Public Domain Code
Please use this code for good and art. But I am not going to stop you if you use it for other purposes :-)
(I realize that this hastily written code is confusing to follow so will document this better soon for now, here are some of the raw scripts)
- calculate average colour from flickr meta data with average colour (e.g. 21000 vancouver photos meta data w/average colour)
- average color of Gastown Map Generator
- average colour map of Vancouver generator
- get average colour of flickr photos from serialized JSON
- mark all 3700 gastown photo locations
- read lat/lon from flickr serialized json metadata
- download flickr "Z" size photos which for some 5MP originals is oddly 640x481
- download flickr original photos using metadata from stdin or file specified as command line ...
- get Roland's Gastown's photos as serialized JSON flickr meta data