Stuart's 'unbound spiral' thinking about Skype does it again. I am sure it's only a a matter of time before somebody figures out how to do this on Mac OS X. Looking forward to Uni-Podcasting (podcasting to one person at a time!)! Stuart rocks! Read the PDF for full details
This Skype experiment confirms a number of possibilities.:
- Add background music (radio) to your Skype calls, personalizing the experience.
- Run a second Skype line so your friends can hear what's playing on your iPod, even when you aren't home.
- Broadcast podcast audio using Skype saving bandwidth, and eliminating buffering and streaming issues.
- Demonstrate infomercials. Examples: snow report, customer update, daily briefing, etc. Access direct from website via callto: tags.
- Note when we automate the recording selection from a website you will listen to Skype playback your request. This will be HUGE!
- What are the implications for Streaming Media models? Why wait for the buffering? What is tomorrow's transit mechanism?
From a Podcast perspective distributing podcasts via SkypeCalls provides the the opportunity for the Podcaster to know who's listening and even whether they listened to the whole thing. Statistics are a big deal! Further automation could enable one to listen and then via a text message to request a full file download. Bye Bye bandwidth problems and hello Podcast communications transport mechanism. No ports to open, no special FTP. Sounds perfect for when you get 30 people listening for a podcast if you are lucky!