Courtesy of the Hill and Knowlton (Hill and Knowlton Blog) Motorola Bloggers Relation Program, I picked up my free trial Motorola KRZR K1 phone (complete with new phone number and unfortunately locked to Rogers) yesterday. Bottom line so far: for the power multi-media creator user, Nokia's phones are much better and I would pay my own money for a Nokia N95 or N93 or my mythical N999, I wouldn't pay my own money for the KRZR.
- Came in an awesome aluminum briefcase
- Great form factor and light weight
- USB Charging
- Text Auto Complete even with ITAP turned off
- Camera has a nice mirror for self portraits
- Cheesy Operating System (ugly to me but YMMV)
- Adapter for normal headphones must be unplugged to answer a call!
- no flash for camera - Nokia flash is not great but better than nothing. Sony Ericsson flashes are much better!
- the web browser doesn't allow you to change the home page (Rogers bug not Motorola bug?)
- the web browser is primitive and bad - sorry to be harsh, but compared to Nokia's Web kit browser or Opera, this browser is a toy: it doesn't support upload of attachments to mobile gmail, no way to enter a URL to surf to (you have to create a bookmark), many, many problems
- ShoZu doesn't work on this phone (Rogers bug?). A phone without ShoZu is like a phone without sunshine :-) !
- No WiFi - I wouldn't pay my own money for a phone without WiFi
- No obvious way to upload your photos or videos without going through USB or Bluetooth "chain of pain" - I prefer ShoZu but there's no support to upload photos to flickr and photos and video to Vox which the built in Nokia gallery app on all recent N series phones does
- Voice Recognition doesn't work for all commands (e,g, I can't turn off Bluetooth with a voice command)