- Why don’t I attend conferences or listen to podcasts? Answer: too homogeneous and too long
- I’d rather talk to people in the lobby of a conference or at a cafe then listen to a talk for 20-60 minutes.
- I’d rather people summarize their stuff in the 1st 10 slides (or less! I bet most folks talks could be 5 slides and most podcasts could be 10 minutes or less) and talk for 5 or 10 minutes and then do a long Q&A (and put the long form detailed stuff in a wiki page or blog post that they link to in those slides)
- I’d rather not have more of the same sorts of the same people who are always on the radio and in the books I read and in the media I consume when I can easily find more diverse voices on the internet without going to a conference and without enduring a >30 minute podcast!
- Having said that conferences with diverse folks and speakers are still appealing and so are short podcasts (although short podcasts seem to be very very scarce!).
Leave a comment on github