Alicia Juarerro’s main points according to Chris Corrigan:
- “Nature uses constraints to generate emergence and sustain it. Constraints both limit and enable.
- Evolution selects for resilience, adaptability, and evolvability.
- Resilience is sustained by micro-diversity.
- Ecosystems are sustained by distributed control rather than governing control. The key is in the links.
- The emergence of novel practices – innovation – cannot be caused, but novelty can be enabled. You do this by catalyzing conditions that allow innovation to occur.
- Think of constraints as phenomena that change the likelihood of things, and the probabilities of what is going on.” <– read the whole thing Chris Corrigan: Constraints that enable emergence and if you want more Professor Juarerro’s 27 minute video seems like a good place to start