- “Funkwhale is a community-driven project that lets you listen and share music and audio within a decentralized, open network - Instances can be federated with the ActivityPub protocol.” Super cool, started 4 years ago roughly i.e. sometime in 2017!
- From the founder’s Reddit AMA 9 months ago:
- “In a nutshell, you can use Funkwhale to build your own, private Spotify. Once the Funkwhale server (a.k.a. pod) is deployed, you can upload your music on it (or import it from the server through a command-line interface), build playlists, favorites, search within your collection, etc. You can also invite other people on your pod so they can enjoy the service.”
- “While you can definitely use Funkwhale to listen to music and audio created by others (this is the core use case), you can also use it as an alternative to SoundCloud, to publish your own work.”
- Would love to have the time to run my own instance in the cloud!
- Grooveshark died in 2015. RIP I loved it!
- Found via a demo last week at element.io
Leave a comment on github